So much has happened since my last blog post. My son is now 4 and I have a 4 month old daughter. My sewing room is now shared with my husband’s office to make room for both kids to have their own rooms. I’ve learned to sew clothes, mostly with knit fabric and continued to make gifts and quilts as well.
In March 2020, the Covid-19 pandemic quickly escalated around the world and sewists began to make face masks. Each day, new information comes out about their effectiveness and usefulness. Now, in early April, it’s clear that more people staying home and if you have to go out, wearing a face mask and washing your hands often might help our communities to be more safe. These homemade masks will not prevent a person from contracting Covid-19, but signal to others that you’re being cautious, keep any coughs and sneezes from spraying everywhere, and remind you not to touch your face.
I’ve started to make a few samples to figure out what fits best for different people’s needs (are you a nurse who will wear this over your medical grade PPE or a citizen who plans to wear it to get groceries?)
Here’s a summary of some of the mask styles that I’m learning to make:
Being a mom of two young kids and since our shared space is where my sewing things are set up, I only have a small amount of time to dedicate to this or other sewing. But being creative and helping others has always been something that makes me feel good, turning anxiety into action and sharing my “talents” (and closet full of fabric) with my family and friends in the form of useful gifts. If you’d like help learning how to make a mask or would like me to make one for you, please be in touch!
I’ve agreed to make a quilt for the Aloha Community Library for them to raffle in September. It’s great to have a small nearby library and I hope that things continue to go well for them so they can join the cooperative library system.
I’m going to use dog print fabrics from my stash to make a quilt called “Read to the Dogs”. I even found fabric with dogs reading books, haha! Here’s the pattern I found that I’ll use and some of the fabrics:
I adapted the pattern a little bit to adjust for the fabrics looking really busy and to highlight the “read to the dogs” in the center and use scraps for the back:
Sharon at Sharon’s Quilt Attic quilted it with a dog bone swirling pattern and I added the binding of rainbow paw print fabric. It was delivered the the Aloha Community Library’s board meeting for them to decide how to run the raffle to raise money for their library!
Each month, the guild hosts a Sewing Saturday where we come together to work on projects. Once a year, the projects are all to make charity quilts. This year, we teamed up in pairs to complete a Scrabble Patch pattern with the help of designer Karla Alexander. She gave each of us help with our Scrabble Patch and also a copy of any pattern we wanted for later. I picked the tumbling blocks (seen below).
My teammate, Ruth, met up with me at Sharon’s Attic Quilt Shop to cut up our pieces (mostly from Ruth’s stash) ahead of time, so when we arrived that morning, we started right away designing our quilt.
Other people used sports fabric, Hawaiian, floral, and many other color palettes. I took some pictures in black and white to see the contrast and how it helped with designing.
At the end of the day, we had finished our top except for adding the borders, which Ruth did at home and then together we sandwiched the quilt (using spray adhesive) while enjoying the company of others in my Piece and Quiet group. I used a straight line quilting pattern on it and Ruth completed the binding. It looks great and is ready to donate to a community organization!
My students at school helped to create “Heart Healthy” quilt blocks after learning hands only CPR from Legacy Emmanuel and Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue staff. I put the blocks together in a colorful quilt which was donated to the new Meridian Park Cardiac Rehab facility as a thank you to their staff and as encouragement to their patients.
This was my first time creating a quilt with drawings. We used fabric markers and crayons, which were heat set onto the muslin blocks. I had taped out the area so all blocks looked uniform in size. The piano key border was done by a parent at the school and the great long-arm quilting was done by the staff at Sharon’s Quilt Attic. The batting was even donated thanks to the Warm and Soft Company.